When any parts of your urinary tract (from kidney to urethra) get infected with micro-organisms called as urinary tract infection (UTI). It is more common in women than men. Rarely children also get UTI.
The symptoms include,
· Pain and burning on urination
· Lower abdominal pain
· Frequent need to go for urination
· Strong smelling urine
· Red or brown colored urine.
· Feverish at night
Routine urine examination or urine culture can help to confirm the UTI.
There are many remedies available at your home to reduce the symptoms and to cure UTI.
Drink plenty of water in the first thing to do if you have urinary tract infection. Drink 3 – 4 liters of water per day. That’s because drinking water can help flush away the bacteria that are causing your infection. If you are suffering from any kidney disease, you may not suppose to drink much water without your doctor’s advice.
1) Baking soda: - Baking soda can help you to ease the symptoms like burning and pain. It helps to turn urine from acidic to alkaline. Simply add one teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it once or twice a day.
2) Cranberry juice: - Proanthocyanidins- a compound contained in cranberry may prevent the Bactria from adhering on bladder wall. JAMA network says that ‘Our findings indicate that cranberry-containing products are associated with protective effect against UTIs’.
3) Pineapple: - It contains an enzyme called bromelain which may reduce the inflammation and may kill the bacteria. Add pineapple smoothie in your diet if you suffer from recurrent Urinary infections andkidney stones.
4) Blueberries: - It has tannin-like compounds that are called proanthocyanidins like cranberries. The compounds inhibit the binding of E.coli bacteria to the urinary tract wall, thus preventing the bacteria from invading the tissues and causing an infection. Treatment with blueberry compounds offers an alternative to the use of antibiotics.
5) Apple cider vinegar: - It contains high concentration of enzymes that prevent bacteria from multiplying. Apple cider vinegar has many other health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory property.
Mix 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz. of water. You can also mix in 1 tsp. of honey to make it more drinkable. Drink this mixture up to three times a day, along with lots of water to flush out your system.
6) Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C): - vitamin C is often recommended as a supplement that can prevent UTI by acidification of the urine. Citrus fruits like oranges and lemon has more vitamin C.
Indian gooseberry (Amla) Is rich in vitamin C.
7) Uva ursi: - This herb is very famous for bladder related infections from 2nd century. Researchers have discovered that uva ursi's ability to fight infection are due to several chemicals, including arbutin and hydroquinone. Homeopaths are using this herb for UTI. If you have any liver disease, you are not suppose to use this herb as it is toxic to liver.
8) Probiotics: - Studies has shown that Probiotics can prevent recurrent urinary tract infections. So it is advices to have foods like yogurt and kefir as it contain Probiotics.