Your baby need only breast milk on first 6 months. It has got all nutrients, immune boosters and energy your baby needed for that time.
Researchers say that breastfed babies have lower risks of
· Ear infections,
· Lower respiratory infections,
· Childhood diarrhea,
· Childhood leukemia
· Eczema and
· Childhood obesity.
Above list shows the importance of breastfeeding. But some mothers lack breast milk. They cannot satisfy their babies with feeding. Some drugs, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, previous breast surgeries and birth control pills can cause decreased production of breast milk.
Home remedies to increase breast milk
1) Fenugreek: - It is one of the most common home remedy used for breast milk production. Most of the moms have found this much effective. Fenugreek can stimulate the mammary glands. You can take fenugreek capsules or tea.
Soak 2 Tspoons of fenugreek in a cup of water at night. On next morning boil it and drink it three times a day. If you are allergic peanut, be careful when you have fenugreek also as it is from the same family.
2) Garlic: - If you have low breast milk, you should add garlic to your diet. It is a known galactogogue. Garlic a good antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory spice which is good for your baby. A study conducted by Rajive ghandhi University of health sciences says that garlic will help to promote breast feeding as it increases the breast milk.
3) Funnel seed: - A lot of moms are benefited by this. Fennel seeds contain anethole, which is considered a phytoestrogen. It is believed that phytoestrogens mimic the properties of the hormone estrogen, which is normally involved in the growth of the mammary glands and increased secretion of milk in women. Funnel seed is also known to cure digestion problems.
4) Moringa and Drum stick: - Moringa and Drumstick is one of the most used herb to increase breast milk in Asian countries. Moringa contains proteins, vitamins, and minerals. As an antioxidant, it seems to help protect cells from damage. Two small studies from the Philippines indicate that it might have some activity as a galactogogue in mothers of preterm infants.
5) Cumin seed: - Cumin seed also helps to stimulate ducts to produce breast milk. It is a good source of iron. It is a home remedy for acidity and indigestion.
6) Oatmeal: - Oat meal contains a lot of nutrients which are helpful to get the adequate nutrition needed for a new mom. If you have low milk production, you should add oatmeal in your diet.
7) Basil leaves: - Basil (Ocimum basilicum) contains linalool, 1,8 cineole (eucalyptol), methylchavicol, methylcinnamate and an essential oil with high estragole content. Estragole might be a procarcinogen. Basil is a purported galactogogue. Basil leaves have got anti-cancerous effect.
8) Alfalfa: - Alfalfa leaves or extracts are used to increase breast milk mostly by homeopaths. Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) leaves and sprouts contain saponins, estrogenic isoflavinoids (e.g., dianzein genistein), vitamin K, and the amino acid L-canavanine. Alfalfa is a purported galactogogue and is included in some proprietary mixtures promoted to increase milk supply.
9) Dates: - Dates make your breast milk a great food for your kid. Dates are high in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and contain more potassium than bananas! Yet they are virtually fat, cholesterol and sodium free! Dates provide essential vitamins and minerals - such as B-complex vitamins, magnesium and iron.
Breastfeed your baby: - Breastfeed your baby, even though you don’t have enough breast milk. If you reduce the number of breastfeeding, it will cause further reduction in your breast milk. It needs a sucking stimulation to produce milk. Don’t panic, just feed and feed and feed….
Hot massage: - Reduced blood circulation may cause low production of milk in some cases. Hot compress will be helpful in those cases. Gently massage your breast regularly.
Drink more water: - Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
Now watch this video