You may experience a burning pain and discomfort in your chest and nausea and vomiting sometimes could be the reason for GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). People usually call it as acidity. It happens when your stomach acid or stomach content flow back to your food pipe (esophagus). The stomach acids and contents splashed to the esophagus can lead to erosion of esophageal lining causing inflammation, irritation and scarring.
Burning, irritation, nausea, vomiting wheezing and hoarseness are the common symptoms of heartburn.
A small life style changes, weight loss and a healthy eating habit can cure it permanently.
How to prevent heartburn / Acidity
· Lose your weight if you are obese. A fatty belly can push the stomach acids to the esophagus causing erosion and irritation.
· Quit smoking if you do. Smoking may aggravate the GERD symptoms by increasing stomach acids.
· Avoid alcohol, coffee and carbonated drinks.
· Have your last meal (of the day) 2 hours before you go to bed.
· Increase intake of fruits like banana, papaya and watermelon, those can reduce the Acid production.
· Eat small meals at frequent intervals.
· Avoid stress. Practice relaxing techniques like yoga.
· Avoid foods that trigger acid reflux like fatty food, spicy food, acidic food, chocolates and onions.
· Wear lose cloths. Tight cloths may squeeze stomach acids to esophagus.
· Keep your head and chest elevated while lying. You can use pillows to keep it high at least 6 inches.
· Try some probiotics to prevent and cure GERD.
Home Remedies to Treat Heartburn or Acidity
Ginger is a great home remedy for heartburn which is easily available in every kitchen. You can eat fresh ginger piece to eat it by chewing or you can have a ginger tea. Ginger is a known anti-inflammatory herb that can absorb stomach acids too.
It is a natural antacid. You can use a Tsp of baking soda in 8 oz of water. This can neutralize stomach acids. It will help you to relive heartburn and acidity.
There are no research studies to prove the efficacy of funnel seed in heartburn. But it does not rule out the effect of funnel seeds in GERD. Funnel seeds helps to digest foods faster. It can regulate the gut movements. This is used to treat constipation. Constipation and indigestion have direct relations to the heartburn. Chew 1 Tsp of funnel seed after every meal for effective result.
Clove is a spice that is easily available in your kitchen. It can be used to treat your acidity and heartburn. Just bite a dried clove and keep it in your mouth for few seconds. It enhances the production of saliva. Increased salivation can reduce the heartburn symptoms. It helps the food to get digested faster.
Lots of people are using aloe vera to treat their heartburn and acidity. Studies have shown that aloe vera may be able to inhibit the production of hydrochloric stomach acids, which are the underlying cause behind the acid reflux. Aloe vera has a healing effect on esophagus.
One can use it juice with some sweet fruit juices. Small doses are better as it may produce diarrhea in some subjects. Pregnant women should seek doctor’s advice before taking it.
Sugar free chewing gum may prevent your heartburn. Studies have shown that chewing gum for 30 minutes after troublesome meal could alleviate acid reflux symptoms.
Sugar free chewing gums produce more saliva. Saliva can reduce the effect of acid in stomach and mouth.