Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. There will be lack of concentration, feeling of loneliness and suicidal thoughts.
Serotonin is brain chemical believed to promote calmness and happiness. There are some foods that can increase the production of serotonin and other minerals which can make you feel good.
Let me specify some of the best foods that can help you to feel good.
1) Walnuts: a recent Spanish study found that those who ate a daily 1-ounce combo of walnuts, hazelnuts, and almonds had more of this feel-good substance than a nut-free group. Walnuts are good for your brain too. It can increase your memory power.
2) Asparagus: A low level of folate is linked to depression. Asparagus contains a high level of folic acid and tryptophan. Tryptophan can stimulate production of serotonin in the brain. So Asparagus is a good choice to add in to your diet if you fell depressed.
3) Fatty fish: omega 3 fatty acids are essential to fight depression. When it comes to omega-3 fatty acids, no food source is better than fatty fish like mackerel, bluefish, wild salmon, and tuna.
4) Dark chocolates: Dark verity of chocolates can boost your mood by stimulating the production of serotonin. It also relaxes the blood vessels which is good for your heart.
5) Cashew nuts: Cashews are an especially good source of zinc. Low levels of zinc have been linked to both anxiety and depression. Since our bodies have no way of storing zinc, it's important to get some every day. Trade cashews for other nuts on the plan when you're in the mood.
6) Berries: Blueberries have some of the highest levels of an antioxidant known as anthocyanin. All berries are rich in vitamin C which has been shown to be helpful in combating stress. A continuous stress can lead to depression.
7) Eggs: The yolks are high in choline, a key nutrient required to make the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (it helps with signaling between memory-supporting neurons). Eggs are rich in zinc which is essential to be energetic all the time.
8) Whole grains: focus on the healthy, high-fiber carbohydrates found in whole grains and you can feel good and do your body good at the same time. “Complex carbohydrates are wonderful foods to improve mood quickly,” says Debbie Mandel, a stress management expert and author of Addicted to Stress. “Whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta are all good choices. They help the body release serotonin.”
9) Bananas: The amino acid tryptophan helps your body make serotonin. The theory that bananas relieve depression began because bananas provide tryptophan. Additionally, bananas provide vitamin B6 also.
The above mentioned food cannot cure your depression completely. If you are depressed you need to consult your physician immediately. The above mentioned food can reduce your stress level and depression for a while.