Grey hair caused by gradual reduction of melanin production over time in your hair follicle. Melanin is pigment that gives colour and smoothness to your hair. The degree of darkness of your hair depends on how much melanin each hair contains.
Eventually the hair begins to lose its colour and strength. When there is less melanin in the hair follicle.
Gray hair will grow more rapidly than the normal hair and becomes more noticeable with time.
What cause premature graying??
· Nutrition deficiency - Vit B, Iron, Copper and Iodine.
· Medical conditions – Thyroid imbalance, Vitiligo, Vit B12 deficiency anemia… etc
· Excessive heating of hair
· Unclean scalp
· Thyroid deficiencies, Warrdenburg syndrome
· Pernicious Anemia
· Artificial factor-: Tobacco smoking.
· Carelessness in maintaining of hair
· Use of certain hair oils and Shampoos
Home remedies for treating grey hair:
· Eat foods rich in iodine such as banana, carrots and fish.
· Drink butter milk with 2 teaspoons each of yeast and wheat germ will prevent and cure premature graying of hair.
· Grate some fresh ginger. Mix with honey and place it in a jar. Eat 1 tea spoon every day.
· Rub oil made with Indian gooseberry (Amla) into the scalp regularly. It can show wonderful results, your gray hair will turn black.
· Every morning take palak juice and eat 10 curry leaves which works excellently, even the existing grey hair turn black from the roots.
· Eat foods rich in iron, minerals and vitamin A and B.
ü Vitamin A - vitamin A is necessary for promoting a healthy scalp and gives body and glow to your hair. Include dark green vegetables and orange & yellow fruits & vegetables in your diet.
ü Vitamin B - vitamin B regulates the secretion of oil, keeps hair healthy & moisturized. Eat more of fresh green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cauliflower, cereals, liver kidney, yogurt, bananas and green vegetables.
ü Minerals - minerals like zinc, iron & copper promote healthy hair. Food sources: zinc - red meat, chicken & green vegetables; iron - beef, dried apricots, red meat, parsley, eggs, wheat & sunflower seeds; copper - seafood, egg yolk & whole grains.
ü Proteins - consuming more of protein gives your hair natural shine and good texture. Include more of sprouted whole grains, cereals, meat and soy in your diet.
Disease of the skin – Frederick.M.Dearborn,A.B.,M.D,
Hair loss-explained and analysed- Dr. FAROKH JAMSHED MASTER
Concise Medical Physiology- Sujith K. Chawdhari
Text Book of Pathology – Harsh Mohan